Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Zodiac animals

Had been busy and tired, work plus the pregnancy is weighing me down. However, baking and cake decoration is a stress release for me.. although sometimes planning the design adds stress. But the satisfaction of the end results always makes it worthwhile.


This cake was really rushed. Baked and decorated all within 3 hours. When the cake was in the oven, I was still undecided on the design. Birthday boy was born in the year of the tiger. First, I tried to do a fondant portrait of a tiger. It was too difficult and will take up too much time, gave up. Then I thought I'd pipe a tiger, but I burnt the chocolate that was meant to do outline.



In the end, this is what I came up with.




This is a very revealing birthday cake... it tells our age!! One zodiac animal to represent each one of us at the dinner. If you are wondering how come there are birds in the Zodiac signs... no that's meant to be a chick, to represent my little daughter.


Chocolate stones all round the bottom of cake to delight my little ones. Cake is a quick, easy and tasty mango sponge cake with mango filling and iced with fresh cream.