Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My first Macaron!!

I did it! I finally did!!

I had been pondering about making macarons ever since I can think straight after the birth of Nathalie. But I had read many horror stories about this cranky little biscuit. About how it refuse to develop feet, become lumpy or too flat or crack, etc. I just did not pick up the courage to try it.. until yesterday.
Thanks to Pook from dailydelicious who gave me precious advise and also for the recipe that I used from her lovely blog. And my hubby who got me the red bean paste. I made my first macaron - green tea with red bean paste.

I followed the recipe closely. Using the food processor to further grind the almonds with icing sugar and green tea powder. Then painstakingly sift the dry mixture.
After about five minutes in the oven, the little discs developed feet!! I was so glad I danced round the kitchen.. ha ha.

Lovely feet...




Thought the green was too intense, but what the heck.. its got feet! Filled with store bought red bean.


Still in the Christmas mood...



The truth is, I've never tasted macarons before, so I have no idea if mine passes the taste test. I heard it is supposed to be a little crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. Mine was not that crisp, but was indeed moist and slightly chewy inside. Hubby loves it. Friends thought its too sweet. Not too sure if it was the filling that was too sweet or the little discs.



My daughter is now asking for pink ones. So do expect more macarons coming up ... after I age those egg whites.


Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Calamity Cookie said...

Congratulations on your first macaroons they look delicious. I've only made them once and they were rich and yummy (I made chocolate ones).

bakeAstory said...

Thanks Sugar Fairy. I tried baking them again the following day and I failed terribly! These biscuits are really cranky!