Sunday, August 2, 2009

Durian Puffs

I love love durians. Especially the bitter sweet variety. If I can get my hands on durians, they never made it into any cakes or pastry, as I would rather just eat them as is. YUM!

One of my cell member is a great cook and baker. She made some durian puffs the other day. Although I was to avoid dairy products, I just cannot resist! So poor Nathalie suffered for the next few days because of mummy's greed. :-(

I had never tried choux pastry, but I was inspired.

Before I knew it, the stars were all aligned. 1) Borrowed a book from the library about cheesecakes and in it was an easy recipe for choux pastry! and 2) a very generous friend of the family gave us a big tub of durian puree claiming that it was the same ones used in Goodwood Park's famous pastries and 3) there is an idle pack of whipping cream in the fridge.

The choux pastry was easier than I thought and it came out lovely and very well puffed up, with large cavities for lots of durian filling. As for the filling, I took care to make sure that I have more durian than cream for a more satisfying bite.





I ate a couple, if not for allergies, I would have eaten a lot more. It was delicious. But a pastry a tad hard. I would bake for a shorter time next time round.

Recipe for choux pastry adapted from Alex Goh's 'Fantastic Cheesecake'. The original recipe was for eclairs.

Ingredients

Milk 160g
Butter 90g
Flour 100g
Eggs 2 nos

Method

1. Cook milk and butter until it boils
2. Add flour and mix to form a smooth paste. Beat it until lukewarm. (I used the mixer)(
3. Add eggs, one at a time. Bear until well blended and smooth
4. Place choux pastry into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe a small round.
5. Bake at 200 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

I could not find my 1M star nozzle, so I settled on a 1cm round nozzle. The first batch was too big for my liking. For the second batch, I piped about 50c coin round and made small, bite size puffs.

Will be trying eclairs next time.

No comments: