The cake turned out very soft and moist. But unfortunately, the bunch of bananas I got from my MIL were not the right type of bananas, so its not as fragrant as it should be. Lesson learnt, do not use the 'kek leng gio' or translated 'Indian banana' for baking.
Recipe adapted from Agnes Chiang's "I Can Bake'.
180g butter/margarine (I used butter)
4 ripe bananas, mashed coarsely
1/8 tsp banana essence, optional (I replaced with vanilla essense)
3 tbsp milk mixed with
1 tbsp lemon juice
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 ripe bananas, sliced
1. Shift flour with baking powder and baking soda, set aside
2. Cream butter and sugar till light. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
3. Mix in mashed bananas, essence, sour milk and flour until well combined
4. Pour into greased pan or muffin cups
5. Sqeeze lime over bananna slices. Arrange banana slices over top of cake
6. Bake at 180 degree celcius for about 20-25 minutes until cooked and golden brown