Sunday, October 21, 2007

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

My son has a fascination with alphabets and numbers. He enjoys all books about Alphabets and counting. One of his favourite book is 'Chicka Chicka Boom Boom' by Bill Martin Jr. (Author), John Archambault (Author), Lois Ehlert (Illustrator). The book is about all the alphabets trying to find room up in a tree. Here's what the book cover looks like.

I used this theme for his first birthday cake. 'First' because this cake is used for celebration in his preschool on 19th Oct. A 'Second' cake will be baked for his home party on 20th Oct. Last year, I baked a total of three Winnie the Pooh cakes for him for three seperate celebrations!



I am quite against using too much colouring in my fresh cream as it taints the mouth, especially for messy kids. So there is no way I will replicate the above. Imagine all the kids with orange, green and pink mouths, am sure the parents will come after me. Here is my interpretation :



All fresh cream except for fondant bunny, fondant letters (cut using cookie cutters), dark brown fondant 'coconut' and chocolate 'rocks'.

Although the bunny is cute, I regreted putting it there. It just does not seem to blend well with the overall design of the cake. But it was almost 11pm when I finished decorating the cake on a Thursday night. After a long day at work, I simply did not have the energy to re-do it. Anyway, the little four year old kids will not notice... and I am right.

Stay tuned for my second birthday cake. I promise it will be much more elaborate.

1 comment:

SIG said...

Wow, you are in indulgent mum. I have never worked with fresh cream before. How do you do that?