Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Dinosaur!!

A good friend of mine challenged me to make a dinosaur cake for her son. I say this is a challenge because I have not seen a very nice dinosaur cake before. Most cakes use toy dinosaurs as decorations. Others are 3D dinosaurs which either end up too 'cartoony' or are impossible for an amateur like me to replicate.

The cake was picked up last night. And till midnight the night before, I still had no idea what to do!! I baked the cake, frosted it white, piped trees at the sides and the top was completely blank, like my mind.

I searched for a nice picture to 'print' on top of the cake.

In the end, I opted for a 2D T-Rex. Here's comparing my 2D fondant creation with the actual picture :

Looks pretty impressive yeah? So I guess the four years I spent in the Art Elective Program in Secondary school was not in vain. :-) Took me about 1.5 hours to do this..... kind of long ... but I had to stick on the tooth one by one...

Here's the finale - the cake!


I must say I am very pleased with the final outcome (well, except for the handwriting). I added the finishing touch of gummy dinosaurs at the sides.. all kids love those little gummies...

Now the birthday boy is asking for transformer cake!! I may have to skip this... too challenging.. but I have till tonight to decide...

1 comment:

SIG said...

WOW, double wow!!! I think you outdid yourself there. That's super fantastic.