Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Fruited Muesli bread

I love Sundays. Missing church service last week made me enjoy this week's service even more. There are just so many things to thank the Lord for!

Although its my domestic helper's day off on Sunday, I still managed to bake quite a few breads. Thanks to my dear hubby and wonderfully good children.

I made the fruited muesli bread, as I have too many bags of muesli at home! The result looked and tasted good too. Unfortunately, when left overnight, was a little hard, not sure if it was because I did not proofed it long enough.



Here it is, shaped, brushed with eggwash, sprinkled with some muesli and 'imprinted' using star shaped cookie cutters.


And this is the final result, golden brown and healthy.



Here's the recipe

Ingredients
------------
475g bread flour
2 tablespoon milk powder
3 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoon butter
100g fruit muesli
1 and 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
300ml water
100g ready to eat dried apricots
50 g dried cranberries (i replaced with raisins)

Method
---------
1. Mix all dry ingredients for 1 minute (except apricot and cranberries)
2. Mix in wet ingredients, except butter
3. Knead till dough come together
4. add butter, knead till dough is smooth and elastic
5. Add apricot and cranberries, mix till even, do not over mix
6. Cover dough and rest for 1 hour
7. Punch down, divide into 2 portions and shape into balls
8. Brush with egg wash, sprinkle some muesli on top
9. use cookie cutter to 'print' on the dough
10. Leave to proof for an hour
11. Bake at 180 degrees for half hour. Bread should sound hollow when tapped with finger tips
12. Cool on wire rack

I also baked some rye bread which I gave away. Its getting late, so I'll share next time.

3 comments:

Striving for Positive said...

Hey... tot I'll drop a note.. :) I absolutely loved the volkswagon cake! What a laugh! :D

SIG said...

Hi, thanks for dropping by my blog. You have lovely stuff. I'm waiting for the cake decoration class with Judy, but seems there's none in Oct. Did you learn all that from there? Which course did you sign up for?

For the dome, I got them in a shop at Marine Parade Central (outside of Parkway Parade). I don't know name, I just know where it is. They sell all sorts of plastic bags, boxes, etc. I looked a very long time for something to put my cuppies into and finally came across them.

bakeAstory said...

Jillian, thanks for dropping by..

Singairishgirl, thanks for sharing where to get the domes!
I took both the foundation and advance class from Judy. All the basics you need to know about decorating with whipped cream. Fondant's not covered. I took the advance class just to learn how to do the roses. Was not too interested in the rest...